ORESOME TIMES - Including West Coast Cemetery Headstones
MOUNT READ PUBS
 
Mount Read village in 1908, with Mount Read Hotel at left
'WGBB' photo
 
 
Miners’ Right Hotel
Thomas Goldie 1893–94
 
Mount Read Hotel
Thomas Goldie 1894–96
Sarah Goldie 1896–97
James Paice 1897–1900
Charles Borley 1900–06
James Pedder 1906–09
Louis Frederick Jones 1909–13
John P Quill 1913
M Conroy 1914
 
Miners’ crib time at Mount Read in 1896
 
Stephen Spurling III
The hotel building was not too safe from an extra powerful blast and on one occasion a lump of metal crashed through the roof and ceiling, and caused great alarm to a card playing school.
 
For the mid-day crib most of the miners made for the hotel dining room, just as they left the mine, grimy, with rain water dripping from their hats, blueys and beards, and boots and leggings coated with mud. Floor coverings were non existent in the hotel and a muddy track led to the dining room where the men slumped on forms along a bare table…Mrs Goldie, in her shrewdness, employed two hefty Irishmen to maintain a semblance of order in the settlement and in the bar, and as well to discourage bolting debtors. Their methods were unorthodox but were reputed to be highly effective…
 
The beer was brought in small casks, groceries in boxes and bags. But the triumph of the packers’ craft was the packing out of the piano that graced the bar parlour of the hotel. Two sturdy horses of similar height and pace were selected and a light strong platform was fixed across their pack saddles and on it the piano was laid, back down. Men with axes and spades went ahead to remove projecting timber and smooth bad patches on the track and the legend goes that the piano arrived without a scratch…
 
(Steve Spurling, ‘Towns on Tasmania’s West Coast Had a “Wild West” Atmosphere’, Examiner 15 October 1955)
 
Early 20th-century rock graffiti
near the Mount Read Hotel site